Sunday, February 19, 2006

The best nursing pad ever!

Okay, let's all face it. Some of you may be a bit uncomfortable about the breastfeeding thing. However, it's something that I feel so strongly about that I want to share a couple of things with my blog readers. Who knows, some of you may have wives or daughters who will be breastfeeding in the future, so listen up!

I'm going to get on a soapbox for a moment... I find the discomfort around this natural and *oh-so-beneficial* practice very interesting. When a mother discreetly breastfeeds in public or around other people, with scarcely any flesh showing, people don't know how to react. Yet they don't bat an eye at a scantily dressed woman who makes no effort to conceal her breasts.

Thank goodness legislation is happening to protect breastfeeding mothers and allow them to feed their babies where they need to. My sister was telling me of an incident in Arizona where a woman was trying to breastfeed her baby at a public pool and was asked to either do it in the restroom or leave the pool. Since then, a coalition of mothers and other concerned citizens have taken the issue to the Arizona legislature, which has passed a bill stating that the indecent exposure statute does not apply to breastfeeding mothers. Thank goodness. Breastfeeding mothers tend to be very discreet about their breastfeeding practices, and do we tell anyone else in our society that they need to either go eat in the public restroom stall, their sweltering or freezing car, or starve until they can get home to eat? A similar incident happened at a Burger King restaurant a few years ago, which prompted the burger chain to adopt a policy that allows mothers to breastfeed in their restaurants.

Okay, rant off... helpful recommendation to breastfeeding moms ON!

Nursing pads: we love them, we hate them. It's a well-known mommy fact that sometimes breastmilk can leak. I've tried a lot of brands of disposable nursing pads, and also a couple of different kinds of washable nursing pads. Although I can't say that Lansinoh(R) Disposable Nursing Pads are the best ever made (although I'd like to gush about them like that), I can say that they're the best I've ever tried. I've had a few extended absences from my baby recently (extended being approximately six hours without time to pump), and those nursing pads worked so well, it was just amazing to me. No leaks, no uncomfortable wetness. They hold the moisture in and lock it away from the skin. It's funny when you've been gone for a while and pull out your nursing pad to change it and it's heavy! Doing its job.

No comments: