Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Long-overdue update: Life with Baby

I'm typing one-handed. I've done quite a bit of that lately, although at times I'll pop NatureForce in the sling carrier to have two hands free. I always hope that she'll just fall asleep so I can put her down without wearing her. Her eyes are currently rolling back in her head, so maybe we'll get lucky.

To pacify or not to pacify: I'm sure the pacifier debate has been raging for years. LittleMum never liked a pacifier, although we did purchase two different kinds and try them. Instead, we just used our pinky fingers when she just needed to suck and I didn't want to feed her yet again. She'd suck on the finger and promptly fall asleep.

With LittleMum, she was showing a bigger need to suck and our fingers are less available than they were the first time around. Because she caught on to nursing from the get-go, we decided to try a pacifier. We pulled out LittleMum's scarcely-used ones and boiled them, then tried them out. After a bit, it actually stayed in her mouth, which never happened with LittleMum. But the first time we went out to her doctor's appointment, we encountered a problem that we never ran into with our pinkies: the pacifier got lost. We still had a couple at home, but I sent Paul to the store to buy Gerber Nuk-Nuk pacifiers, because I've heard they're better for breastfeeding babies (or is that just some marketing schpiel?). A few days later I sent him to get a pacifier clip, because a frequently asked question around our house was "where's the pacifier?" But currently, one Nuk-Nuk and the pacifier clip (they're together, I'm sure) are missing in action.

More to come!...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara!
It's me, Bill Cobabe. I saw your blog - nice job on that, BTW. I don't have anything that cool but you can check out my site at www.arch.utah.edu/cobabefw/ where there are some pics and stuff. Two kids, eh? Nice job. You and the fam look great. Congratulations!
Billy

The Herd Mom said...

Great site! I enjoyed looking at your work and seeing your family!