Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Mystery of the Blogosphere

I looked at my RSS feed reader today, and saw that there were some new posts on the blogs I had listed. I don't frequent blogs very often, so I had quite a bit to catch up on. One blog that I've found interesting is GeekNurse, a blog by a pediatric critical care nurse in Australia. It mixes interesting technical notes about pediatric nursing with heart-inspiring and heart-rending stories of sick babies and children. Another blog is called The Broken Arms, a blog by an English major who is dealing with roommates, friends getting married, heartbreak, the GRE and graduate school applications.

As I read about the inner workings of these young men's minds and hearts, I wondered how much blogging has replaced true connection with other people. As a society, we have begun to gravitate away from neighbors, family, friends, and gravitate more towards feeling connected to strangers. Is it easier to pour your heart out anonymously for the public to read than it is to share those feelings with those who are close to you? In some ways, perhaps.

No comments: